Brian Vazquez, a 2016 Orientation Leader from Miami, FL and a sophomore studying biology and finance, highlights some of the greatest aspects of earning the title of SMU Alum!
Congrats on making the decision to attend SMU! Coming to SMU was for me, exciting,terrifying, and amazing all at the same time. Beginning life on my own was not easy to fathom,but one I soon learned to embrace.
The craziest thing to think at this point is that in four years you will be an SMU alum! However,this doesn’t mean that your time on the hilltop will be over. In the short time that I have been at SMU, I have seen and met with countless alumni who continue their school pride and involvement with various aspects of the University. Whether it is through the Residential Commons, clubs, athletics, or Greek organizations, alumni continue to be a driving force behind what makes SMU great. Our alumni network truly is one of the greatest in the nation, in fact, take a look at some of our most notable alumni I know you have heard of:
- Laura Bush: SMU’s most well known alum. The First Lady has lived a life dedicated to public service.
- Ray Hunt: An American businessman and CEO and Founder of Hunt Oil Co. Hunt was also influential in bringing the George W. Bush Library to the SMU campus.
- Lamar Hunt: One of the biggest names in American sports. Hunt is the owner of Major Leagues Soccer teams Columbus Crew and FC Dallas, NFL team Kansas City Chiefs, and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1972.
- David Dillon: Earned a Law Degree from SMU before he became the CEO and Chairman of the Board of Directors for the supermarket chain The Kroger Co.
- Lauren Graham: If you have ever seen the shows Gilmore Girls or Parenthood, you know who Lauren Graham is. The actress got her Master of Fine Arts in Acting Performance from the Meadows School of the Arts in 1992.
- Kathy Bated: SMU’s most successful actress won the Academy Award in 1990 for Best Actress for her role in Misery. The Golden Globes have also been good to Bates, as she has received two and five other nominations.
- Eric Dickerson: Dickerson was the second pick in the NFL draft of 1983 and was a 6x Pro Bowl selection, 1983 NFL MVP, 1986 NFL Offensive Player of the Year, 4x NFL Rushing champion, and 1999 Pro Football Hall of Inductee. Dickerson was part of SMU’s famous “Pony Express” run game and is tied with Doak Walker for SMU’s record for career scoring of touchdowns.
- Brian Baumgartner : Best known for his role in the show The Office in which he plays Kevin Malone.